Kids Fare Awakens Creativity With Voice, Music and Dance
Bienen School series for 3-to-8-year olds is a fun introduction to a variety of musicJanuary 3, 2014 | by Judy Moore
EVANSTON, Ill. --- Vocalists from Northwestern University’s voice and opera program, the colorful sounds of a symphonic band, a harmonious blend of orchestral instruments, a lively concert featuring Brazilian percussionist Dede Sampaio and a program featuring the DanceWorks Chicago ensemble are all in store as the 2013-14 Kids Fare series resumes at Northwestern University.
Presented by the University’s Henry and Leigh Bienen School of Music, the series of hourlong 10:30 a.m. Saturday programs are designed for children ages 3 to 8 and their families. Kids Fare concerts provide a comfortable and enjoyable introduction to music through song, guided listening experiences and creative movement. Often children have an opportunity to participate.
All of the following winter and spring events take place on Northwestern’s Evanston campus at Pick-Staiger Concert Hall, 50 Arts Circle Drive. Free parking is available in the two-level F lot lakeside parking structure just south of Pick-Staiger Concert Hall.
WINTER AND SPRING 2014 KIDS FARE PROGRAMS
- Celebrate the joy, beauty and excitement of the human voice on Jan. 18 with “Ringing Singing.” Stars of the future from the Bienen School’s voice and opera program will present a variety of songs by a range of composers.
- Experience the powerful sounds of the Northwestern University Symphonic Band on Jan. 25 with “Symphonically Sensational.” Woodwinds, brass and percussion will join together for a program of diverse musical selections.
- Brazilian percussion virtuoso Dede Sampaio and friends will have listeners up on their feet with the Feb. 15 “¡Festejar o Ritmo de Brazil!” The group will introduce the audience to exotic rhythms, instruments and a sampling of “capoeira” -- a Brazilian martial art that combines elements of dance and acrobatics with music.
- The March 15 “Orchestral Dreams” program featuring the Northwestern University Chamber Orchestra will merge strings, brass, woodwinds and percussion in a wondrous way.
- The 2013-14 Kids Fare series concludes May 17 with “Prancing and Dancing.” Special guests DanceWorks Chicago will share the company’s creative, energetic and joyous blend of music and dance.
Single tickets for each of the above Kids Fare programs are $6 for the general public and $4 for children. Tickets may be purchased by phone at (847) 467-4000 or online. For more information, visit Pick-Staiger or call (847) 491-5441.
For updates on parking and directions as the south campus construction project progresses, visit Pick-Staiger.