Summer Lunch on the Lake
Featuring free noontime concerts, BBQ and fresh marketJune 17, 2011 | by Judy Moore
EVANSTON, Ill. --- Talented young vocalists and musical groups from along Lake Michigan’s shoreline, as well as Tennessee, Kentucky and Ohio, will provide live entertainment for casual diners during Norris University Center’s annual “Lunch on the Lake” outdoor concert series.
Free and open to the public, the noon to 1 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday concerts begin June 28 and continue through Aug. 4. Featuring pop, rock, jazz and country music, the hourlong programs will be held on the lawn directly east of Norris Center on Northwestern University’s Evanston campus, weather permitting.
In addition to entertainment by artists from across the country, music fans have the option of purchasing a barbecued lunch, prepared outdoors by executive-level chefs from nuCuisine, the University’s food service. Or they can bring their own lunch.
The “Lunch on the Lake” outdoor menu, which changes weekly, will be served from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, throughout the summer concert series. Priced at $6.50 with a choice of an entree and two sides, it features barbecue favorites, including a half-pound burger, corn on the cob, and watermelon and cookies for dessert.
To make four of the summer concerts even more fun, from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. on June 28, July 12, July 26 and Aug. 2 -- nuCuisine Fresh Markets will sell fresh fruits, vegetables and more at Norris Center. The produce, products and selections will vary on each market day, depending on availability.
In the past, Norris summer concerts have attracted local community members and families with young children as well as Northwestern faculty, staff and students. To encourage more Evanstonians to attend, Aug. 4 has been designated as “Evanston Day” featuring a performance by the country duo Troubled Annie, comprised of Evanston’s own Meg Allison and her musical partner Joshua Stevens.
The “Lunch on the Lake” 2011 concert dates and performers will include:
• June 28 Rock/funk/soul artist MER
• June 30 The Window Theatre, comprised of twins Erik and Joe Duemig, a keyboard and guitar duo
• July 5 Pop acoustic guitarist Sue Smith and friend of Waiting to Run
• July 7 Pop, rock and country vocalist and guitarist Andrew Salgado, co-sponsored by NUSAC
• July 12 Nashville singer, songwriter and guitarist Amy Nicole Lewis
• July 14 Pop singer and guitarist David Campbell, co-sponsored by the Association of Northwestern University Women
• July 19 Down Beat Magazine Award-winning jazz artist Monika Herzig
• July 21 Country and pop/rock acoustic guitarist Jackson Rohm, co-sponsored by Student Affairs
• July 26 Louisville-based singer and songwriter Andrea Davidson
• July 28 Vocalist and keyboardist Katie Todd
• Aug. 2 Pop/rock singer, songwriter and pianist Jacob Vanags
• Aug. 4 Evanston Day/country duo Meg Allison and Joshua Stevens of Troubled Annie
For more, visit www.norris.northwestern.edu/csi/programming/lunch-on-the-lake.