Committee Named for Feinberg Search
Search committee will identify next vice president, dean of Feinberg School of MedicineDecember 6, 2010
Following is the text of a message from Northwestern University Provost Dan Linzer to the Northwestern community announcing the formation of a search committee to identify the next vice president for medical affairs and Lewis Landsberg Dean of the Feinberg School of Medicine.
As you know, Vice President for Medical Affairs and Lewis Landsberg Dean J. Larry Jameson MD, PhD will be departing Northwestern in 2011 to assume the position of dean of the medical school and executive vice president at the University of Pennsylvania. While Larry will continue in his Vice President role at Northwestern until his departure, Jeff Glassroth, currently President and CEO of the Northwestern Medical Faculty Foundation and Vice Dean and Chief Academic Officer at Feinberg, will assume the role of interim dean at the School beginning in January of 2011.
Given these transitions, we are moving forward with the search for the next Dean and Vice President for Medical Affairs for Feinberg. I am very pleased to announce that Amy Paller, Chairperson and Professor, Department of Dermatology, and Professor, Department of Pediatrics, and Patricia Spear, Professor Emeritus, Department of Microbiology-Immunology, have agreed to serve as co-chairs of the dean search committee. The committee will be comprised of the following individuals:
- Michael Abecassis, Professor, Department of Surgery, Transplant Surgery Division
- Mercedes R Carnethon, Associate Professor, Department of Preventive Medicine
- Lindsay Chase-Lansdale, Professor, School of Education & Social Policy and Institute for Policy Research
- Julie Creamer, Senior Vice President of Administration, Northwestern Memorial Hospital
- David Escobar, Student, Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care, Feinberg School of Medicine
- James Hill, Professor, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Todd Kuiken, Director, Center for Bionic Medicine, Director, Amputee Services, Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago; Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, FSM, Professor of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Katherine E Kurtz, Dean of Development, Feinberg School of Medicine
- William A. Muller, Chairperson and Professor, Department of Pathology
- Lloyd Morgan, Independent Director, Northwestern Medical Faculty Foundation
- Julio M. Ottino, Dean and Professor of Chemical Engineering, McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Sciences
- Marleta Reynolds, Professor, Department of Surgery, Surgeon in Chief, Children’s Memorial Hospital
- Steven T. Rosen, Genevieve E. Teuton Professor, Department of Medicine, and Director (Academic), Lurie Cancer Center
- James Surmeier Jr., Nathan S. Davis Professor, Department of Physiology
Jake Julia, associate vice president/associate provost for academic initiatives, and Marianna Kepka, director of academic administration, will staff this search, and a search firm will be retained shortly to assist us with the search.
I would like to thank all of you who have taken the time to talk with me or to write to me regarding this search and the future of the Feinberg School of Medicine. Your counsel has been extremely helpful to me, and I look forward to a successful outcome to this search.
Daniel Linzer, Provost