Northwestern Hosts Family WeekendOctober 10, 2006
EVANSTON, Ill. --- Northwestern University will host Family Weekend Oct. 13-15 -- the annual fall event to welcome students and their families to the Evanston campus.
During the three-day weekend, students and family members have the opportunity to explore Northwestern's Evanston campus on a walking tour, eat in a University student dining hall, meet University President Henry S. Bienen and the dean of the student's school, attend a Wildcats football game, sit in on classes, view art exhibitions, enjoy a concert, attend open houses at various student centers, or work out at a campus fitness center.
The following is a list of a few of the many weekend highlights. Admission is free unless otherwise noted.
• From noon to 5 p.m. Friday (Oct. 13), Saturday (Oct. 14) and Sunday (Oct. 15), spend time in the galleries of the Mary and Leigh Block Museum of Art exploring the “Keeping Shadows: Photography at the Worcester Art Museum” and “Torkel Korling: Bridging Commercial and Art Photography” exhibitions. For a virtual preview, visit www.blockmuseum.northwestern.edu
• 6 to 8 p.m. Friday (Oct. 13), during Arts Night at the Block, museum staff members will provide tours of the exhibitions. Refreshments will be served.
• “The Best of the Midwest,” at 10:30 p.m. Friday (Oct. 13) at Pick-Staiger Concert Hall, will feature the voices-only talent of Northwestern's Purple Haze student a capella group. Tickets are $7 and can be purchased at the Pick-Staiger Box Office.
• At 9 a.m. Saturday (Oct. 14), two hours prior to the Northwestern-Purdue game, a home tailgate celebration featuring food, beverages, music, games, jugglers, magicians and more will be held at Rocky Miller Park's Wildcat Alley.
• At 10 a.m. Saturday (Oct. 14) the University's Marching Band will perform a “Fire-Up!” concert at Wildcat Alley in Rocky Miller Park, north of Welsh-Ryan Arena, at the corner of Isabella Street and Ashland Avenue.
• The Wildcats will play the Boilermakers at Ryan Field at 11 a.m. Saturday (Oct. 14). Reserved seats are $50 and end zone seats are $30. Students with a WildCARD who stand in the student zone will be admitted free. For questions regarding ticket orders or game time, call (847) 491-CATS or e-mail email@example.com.