EVANSTON, Ill. --- Free healthy weight, blood pressure and injury, foot and spinal screenings are among the many events the athletics and recreation department has planned for individuals of all fitness levels during Northwestern's Celebration of National Physical Fitness and Sports month this May. The event is open to the public.
The primary goal of the National Physical Fitness and Sports 2006 Celebration is to inspire individuals to commit to 30 minutes of moderate physical activity at least three days each week to help prevent chronic disease and result in healthier and longer lives.
Northwestern faculty and staff members and the general public are encouraged to develop lifelong habits of regular physical activity and participate in the following events.
Most of the activities will be held at the Henry Crown Sports Pavilion and Norris Aquatics Center, 2311 Campus Drive, on the University's Evanston campus.
The kick-off event for the month-long celebration will be the Family Springfest, 2 to 5 p.m. Sunday, April 30, at the Sports and Aquatics Center. A small fee will be charged for learn-to-swim lessons, “splish splashin' fun” in the pool, a sandcastle building contest and a beach barbecue.
Details on the following May highlights are available online at <www.fitrec.northwestern.edu>.
• Free Fridays for Northwestern faculty and staff, May 5, May 12, May 19 and May 26. In an effort to help promote the establishment of regular physical activity, faculty and staff will have unrestricted use of fitness facilities and group fitness classes held at the Sports and Aquatics Center, Patten Gymnasium and Blomquist Recreation Center every Friday in May.
• Massage therapy special throughout May. Those who purchase a 30- or 60-minute session will receive a 30- or 60-minute session at half-price.
• Free healthy weight and blood pressure screenings will be held from 9 to 11 a.m. and 5 to 7 p.m. Tuesday, May 2, and Wednesday May 17, and 10 a.m. to noon Saturday, May 6.
• National Employee Health and Fitness Day, Wednesday, May 17. The day will include free access to fitness facilities and group fitness classes; free healthy weight and blood pressure screenings from 9 to 11 a.m. and 5 to 7 p.m. Pre-registration is suggested for those who want to attend the free Food for Thought presentation, “The Rules of Running,” that will include a free light lunch, from noon to 1 p.m. Pre-registration is recommended for the following events: free injury screenings provided by AthletiCo from 4 to 7 p.m.; free foot screenings by the Foot & Ankle Clinics of America, 5 to 7 p.m.; and free spinal screenings by the Center for Natural Therapy, 4:30 to 7:30 p.m.
• National Bike to Work Day, 8 to 10 a.m. Friday, May 19. Free bagels and juice will be available at the Sports and Aquatics Center (while supplies last) for those who bike to work.
• Active Older Adult Celebration Week, May 30 through June 2. Free access to group fitness classes and healthy refreshments; 10 to 11 a.m. free PrimeTime Fitness class; 11 a.m. to noon, gentle Pilates class; 1 to 2 p.m. Tai Chi class, Wednesday, May 31.
• Free Active Aging presentation titled “The Memory Game,” featuring Jonathan Maks, M.D., noon to 1 p.m. Wednesday, May 31. Free light lunch will be available for those who attend. Pre-registration desired.
Also for the active older adult is a free Tai Chi class, 9 to 10 a.m. and 1 to 2 p.m.; PrimeTime Fitness class, 10 to 11 a.m.; and gentle Pilates class, 11 a.m. to noon, Friday, June 2.
For more information call (847) 491-4303 or visit <www.fitrec.northwestern.edu>.