Jean Arp’s “Resting Leaf” (1959), a cast bronze sculpture in the Mary and Leigh Block Museum of Art’s collection, is undergoing conservation this winter.
It was removed from its location in the museum’s plaza in early December and will be returned at the end of April.
Conservators will treat minor corrosion, clean the sculpture and apply a protective coating during the four-month process. Maintenance on other works in the Sculpture Garden is planned for spring and summer 2006.
This artwork conservation is funded by an endowment established for that purpose by the museum’s founders, Mary and Leigh Block. The Blocks donated “Resting Leaf” and many other sculptures installed in the museum’s outdoor Sculpture Garden surrounding the Block Museum in 1987, the year the museum was founded.
For more information on the Block Museum’s Sculpture Garden go to <http://www.blockmuseum.northwestern.edu/collections.sculpture.html>.