African American Student Affairs
African American Student Affairs (AASA) was founded after a series of student and administrative negotiations in response to issues concerning African American enrollment and student life.
In 1968, students staged a sit-in called the Bursar’s Takeover to initiate change and improve “both qualitatively and quantitatively, the role of black men and women in the activities of the University….” Just two weeks before the takeover, the University hired a black counselor to work part-time in Admissions and part-time in Student Affairs.
AASA has grown and has had two homes: the first facility was at 619 Emerson and in 1973 the office moved to 1914 Sheridan Road, our current location. In the 2004-2005 school year, AASA was consolidated under Multicultural Student Affairs (founded in 2004), along with Asian/Asian American Student Affairs and Hispanic/Latino Student Affairs. The MSA family grew again in the summer of 2012, when the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Resource Center (LGBT RC) became the fourth department under Multicultural Student Affairs.
Here is a timeline of major events in AASA's history.