Ori Sivan (GMcC05), co-founder of Greenmaker Building Supply in Chicago, offers five earth-friendly tips for homeowners.
• Choose paints with no volatile organic compounds, indoor air pollutants linked to everything from eye, nose and throat irritation to organ damage and possibly cancer.
• Invest in a worm bin and keep your kitchen scraps in the organic loop. Vermiculture, or worm composting, is easy, clean and odor-free, even in an apartment or condo.
• Install a dual flush toilet or retrofit your existing commode to save up to five gallons of water with every flush.
• Install a water-saving low-flow showerhead and halve your water consumption.
• Go phosphate free with your detergents.