Information for First-Year and Transfer Students
New Student Move-In 2013
We are excited that you will be living with us this fall! Returning students should visit the Move-in information for returning students webpage. The information below is for new first-year or transfer students.
- Overview of the Move-In Process for New Students
- Prior to Coming to Campus - Sign Up for a Move-In Time
- On Move-In Day
- Parking Locations (Outside of Your Unloading Time)
- Shipping Items in Advance
- Fall 2013 Move-in Guide (PDF version)
- Move-in Map (PDF)
New student move-in takes place between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. on Monday, September 16, 2013.
On August 26, students will receive an email to sign up for a move-in/unloading time. The move-in time will be a 45-minute block in which you will receive your key from your Community Assistant (CA) and park near your residence to unload your vehicle. Move-in times are available on a first-come, first-served basis. You have until mid-September to select a move-in time. If you do not select a move-in time by the deadline (to be announced), one may be selected for you.
On move-in day, you will head to your unloading zone designated on your parking permit. View our Move-in Map (PDF) to see where your unloading zone is.
Peer Advisers (PAs) and Purple Posse move-in crew will meet you and assist in moving your items to your room. You will go to your residence hall to receive your room key and other important information.
After your items are unloaded from your vehicle, parking is available at Ryan Field. Shuttles will bring you back to the residence hall after parking your vehicle.
- Sign Up for a Move-In Time - On August 26, you will receive an email in your Northwestern student email account detailing how to sign up for a move-in time and a link to the application to sign up. The move-in time consists of a 45-minute block between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. on September 16. If you have not received this email by August 26, call Residential Services at (847) 467-HOME (4663). The link to sign up for your move-in time is available only in your personalized email that you will receive in August.
- If you are bringing a vehicle to unload on move-in day - Select "Yes, I need a permit." After you sign up for a move-in time, you will be sent an email with a link to your permit. Your permit will contain important information regarding your unloading zone, check-in location and time for move-in.
- IMPORTANT: You will be provided an option to print your permit. Be sure to print a copy of your personalized move-in permit and bring it with you on move-in day.
- If you are not unloading a vehicle on campus on move-in day - Select "No, I do not need a permit." Also use this option if you are a new first-year or new transfer student and are arriving on a day other than September 16.
- Picture ID - Be sure to bring a picture ID.
- Vehicles and parking permits - Students bringing vehicles to unload are REQUIRED to bring a copy of the move-in permit.
- Check-In Location & Unloading Zone - As you get to campus on move in day, students should head to the designated check in location and unloading zones for 2013.
- Unloading a vehicle and parking permits - If you are unloading a vehicle:
A.Place the copy of your move-in permit on the dashboard for entrance to your unloading zone. Write your cell phone number in the designated space so that you may be contacted if needed.
B.The student enters his or her assigned residence hall, bringing a picture ID, to receive a room key, temporary WildCARD, and other important information. Room keys will be issued ONLY to students.
- Assistance unloading - Family members or friends staying with the car can begin unloading belongings with help from the Peer Advisers (PAs) and Purple Posse move-in team members. The PAs and Purple Posse will assist in moving items up to the room.
- Parking after you have unloaded - Be sure to move vehicles out of the unloading zone as soon as you are done unloading or if your time expires. Parking for the remainder of the day is available at Ryan Field.
- Arriving outside of your designated check-in time - Students who arrive outside of their designated check-in time will not be permitted to enter unloading zones until the assigned time and will experience delays in checking in. Students assigned for the current check-in time will be served first.
Outside of your unloading time, move your vehicle to the Ryan Field parking lot. Shuttles will be available to bring you between your vehicle and the residence halls. View our Move-in Map (PDF) to see driving directions from campus to Ryan Field.
If you'll be living in University housing and intend to ship some of your belongings before you arrive, please refer to the Ship to Northwestern program website. By using this service, items will be placed in your room prior to your arrival.
Visit our frequently asked move-in questions webpage for further information.
If you have any questions about move-in, please contact Residential Services at (847) 467-HOME (4663). We are open between 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Central Daylight Time on weekdays. Questions can also be sent to email@example.com.