Move-in Information for First-Year and Transfer Students
We are so excited that you will be living with us this fall! The information below is for new first-year or transfer students. Returning students should visit the Move-in information for returning students webpage.
OVERVIEW OF THE MOVE-IN PROCESS FOR NEW STUDENTS
New student move-in begins at 8:00 a.m. and ends at 4:00 p.m. on Monday, September 15, 2014.
By the end of August, students will receive an email to sign up for a move-in/unloading time. The move-in time will be a 45-minute block in which you will park near your residence to unload your vehicle and receive your key from your Resident Assistant (RA. Move-in times are available on a first-come, first-served basis. You have until mid-September to select a move-in time using the online portal. If you do not select a move-in time by the deadline one may be selected for you.
On move-in day, you will head to your unloading zone designated on your parking permit.
Peer Advisers (PAs) and a Purple Posse move-in crew will assist in moving your items to your room. You will go to your residence hall to receive your room key and other important information.
PRIOR TO COMING TO CAMPUS: SIGN UP FOR A MOVE-IN TIME
Sign Up for a Move-In Time: In August, you will receive an email in your Northwestern student email account detailing how to sign up for a move-in time and a link to the application to sign up. The move-in time consists of a 45-minute block between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. on September 15. If you have not received this email by August 29, call Residential Services at (847) 467-HOME (4663). The link to sign up for your move-in time is available only in your personalized email that you will receive in August.
If you are bringing a vehicle to unload on move-in day: Select "Yes, I need a permit." After you sign up for a move-in time, you will be sent an email with a link to your permit. Your permit will contain important information regarding your unloading zone, check-in location and time for move-in.
IMPORTANT: You will be provided an option to print your permit. Be sure to print a copy of your personalized move-in permit and bring it with you on move-in day.
If you are not unloading a vehicle on campus on move-in day: Select "No, I do not need a permit." Also use this option if you are a new first-year or new transfer student and are arriving on a day other than September 15.
ON MOVE-IN DAY
- Picture ID: Be sure to bring a picture ID.
- Vehicles and parking permits: Students bringing vehicles to unload are REQUIRED to bring a copy of the move-in permit.
- Check-In Location & Unloading Zone: As you get to campus on move in day, students should head to the designated check in location and unloading zones for 2014.
- Unloading a vehicle and parking permits: If you are unloading a vehicle,
- A. Place the copy of your move-in permit on the dashboard for entrance to your unloading zone. Write your cell phone number in the designated space so that you may be contacted if needed.
- B. The student enters his or her assigned residence hall, bringing a picture ID, to receive a room key, and other important information. Room keys will be issued ONLY to students.
- Assistance unloading: Family members or friends staying with the car can begin unloading belongings with help from the Peer Advisers (PAs) and Purple Posse move-in team members. The PAs and Purple Posse will assist in moving items up to the room.
- Parking after you have unloaded: Be sure to move vehicles out of the unloading zone as soon as you are done unloading or if your time expires.
- Arriving outside of your designated check-in time: Students who arrive outside of their designated check-in time will not be permitted to enter unloading zones until the assigned time and may experience delays in checking in. Students assigned for the current check-in time will be served first.
PARKING LOCATIONS (OUTSIDE OF YOUR UNLOADING TIME)
Outside of your unloading time, parking will be available in two campus lots: the North Beach lot and the Lakeside parking structure. These two lots will be free from ticketing; no parking permit is needed.
SHIPPING ITEMS IN ADVANCE
If you're planning on buying a fridge, consider ordering through RezEssentials, a student-run company on campus that will deliver your fridge directly to your room prior to move-in. To learn more, visit their website.
If you intend to ship some of your other belongings before you arrive, please refer to the Ship to Northwestern website for the process, important dates, and other useful information to ensure a smooth experience.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Visit our frequently asked questions page for answers to common questions regarding move-in.
If you have any questions about move-in, please contact Residential Services at (847) 467-HOME (4663). We are open weekdays from 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Central Daylight Time on weekdays. Questions can also be directed to email@example.com.