Maintenance Requests

In general, university personnel are available to provide service for anything that is university-owned. If you need service in your room or in a common room of your building, and for any routine maintenance work (non-working lights, clogged sinks or toilets, heating concerns, etc.), submit a maintenance request online. To enter a maintenance request, visit the SchoolDude work order systen websiteWhen asked for a password, enter "wildcat." For instructions on how to use the system, view our help sheet.  

Emergency Situations

If there is an emergency situation during business hours, call Residential Services at (847) 491-3541. If it is after hours, contact your Community Assistant on Duty. Examples of emergency situations include fire, flood, electrical, natural gas odor, extreme temperature, etc.