Residence and Board Contract
RESIDENCE AND BOARD CONTRACT
- I understand that the term of this contract is for the entire Northwestern University academic year (exclusive of summer quarter) remaining after the signature date of this contract, excluding winter and spring vacation periods. I agree to vacate my room at the specified time on the scheduled beginning date of each such vacation period and within 24 hours of my last final examination in June, or if I am a graduating senior, I agree to vacate my room by 6:00 P.M. Of commencement day. I understand that unless formally released from this contract by the appropriate housing office, I am responsible for the room rental charges for the entire term of this contract.
- I understand that to be eligible for residence, I must be enrolled at Northwestern University as a degree candidate or as a special student; and that if such enrollment is terminated for any reason, I agree to vacate my room within 24 hours of such termination. I agree that I will will not occupy nor reside in any space other than my assigned room except that I may have customary use of the common areas. I understand that this contract is not assignable, that subletting is not allowed, and that only the persons assigned by Northwestern University may reside in my room at any time. I further agree that I may not have any overnight guest staying in my room except such guest as shall (a) be of my sex and (b) first be officially registered as an overnight guest which in no event may be without written approval of all my roommates. I further agree that I will not unreasonably interfere with my roommates' or any other resident's rights under similar residence hall contract.
- I understand that no animal of any kind is permitted in the residence hall at any time; I agree that I will not bring in or keep any animal in any area of the residence hall and that I will not permit any guest or visitor of mine to do so.
- I understand that maintenance fee charges shown above are required of all residents of the residence hall to which I am assigned. Any social dues shown above are optional, becoming due and payable unless the resident takes appropriate action in accordance with the method determined by student government with the cooperation of the housing office.
- I understand that I am responsible for the care and safety of my personal property and that Northwestern University will not be responsible for any loss by fire, theft, or other casualty.
- I agree that bills for each quarter are due in advance, in accordance with deadlines stated in the University calendar. If I do not receive a bill by one week prior to the appropriate deadline, I must contact the student finance office to ascertain the amount due.
- I agree to observe, in my use of the residence hall premises, all laws of the united states, state of Illinois, City of Evanston, and all Northwestern University rules and regulations. I acknowledge receipt of a copy of the residence hall rules and regulations, which are by reference incorporated into and made a part of this contract. I understand that failure to comply with any of the terms of this contract, including such rules and regulations, shall be a default and may subject me to either or both (a) assessment of liquidated damages in the amount of $10 per day for each day of such default up to 3 consecutive days following receipt of written notice of default, and $25 per day thereafter until the default ceases; and (b) dismissal from the residence halls. Upon written notice of dismissal, room charges through the end of the contract will become immediately due and payable.
- Until all sums due and owing under this contract are fully paid, I understand that I may not register for future course work in the University or receive transcripts, diplomas or degrees.
NOTE: Contract Terms are subject to change. Please contact the Housing Office for most accurate copy.