New Student Assignments Procedure
Freshmen General Room Selection
At the present time, all available rooms for women in Assignment Round 1 are assigned.
Spaces still exist for men in both singles and doubles.
Assignment Round 3 starts Tuesday, July 22, 2014, at 9:00 a.m., and will go until all remaining freshmen without an assignment are assigned.
Room Selection Procedure
Room selection takes place during early July. Emails will go out to all incoming residents with instructions on how to select your room. You can also take a look at the pages below for instructions.
- New students who have been accepted to a residential college can view their room selection procedure process on our Res. College Room Selection page.
- New students who did not apply to or were not accepted into a residential college can view their room selection procedure process on our General Room Selection page.
Overview of the Assignments Procedure
New undergraduate students, both entering freshmen and transfer students, apply for housing at Northwestern University as part of an integrated admission process. The process is as follows:
- If you are admitted to Northwestern, you will be asked to confirm your intent to enroll by paying a non-refundable $400 tuition deposit.
- After this deposit is received, you will then be asked to pay a second non-refundable $200 housing prepayment if you requested and have been granted campus housing. The Office of Undergraduate Admissions will contact you via e-mail on how to pay your housing prepayment online.
- Once all housing prepayments have been made, the next step will be to fill out the online housing contract. You may list your building and roommate preferences; or if you know who you want to be your roommate, you may add your roommate’s name. This contract will be made available on the RMS website.
- Once you’ve made all prepayments and after you have completed the online housing contract then CONGRATS! You contracted for a space in housing!
- Freshmen will participate in the online self-assignment room selection process in late June and early July and know their assignment and roommate information immediately after choosing their room. For those who choose not to participate in the self-selection process, Residential Services will send an email to the Northwestern email account of those students containing the room assignment and roommate information by the first week of August.
You are encouraged to observe all of our prepayment and contract deadlines. Failure to meet these deadlines may result in the cancellation of your housing status.
If you have additional questions, you may call us at 847-467-4663, or send us an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.