Senior Community Assistant
Overview of Position
A Senior Community Assistant (SCA) is a returning staff member and/or graduate student who shares the same duties as other CAs on staff but has additional responsibilities and leadership roles. As an assistant to the AC, SCAs duties may include completing reports, monitoring staff progress on team assignments, and acting as a peer resource and confidant to CAs on his/her staff.
In addition to the duties listed in the Community Assistant professional agreement, the following are specific to the SCA position:
- Staff selection, orientation, and development
- Participate in the CA staff selection process during winter quarter
- Participate in the spring SCA staff training program
- Assist the Area Coordinator in orienting new and returning staff to the area
- Serve as a mentor for staff members
Operational and administrative responsibilities
- Administrative tasks as assigned by AC in conjunction with opening and closing the halls and break periods
- Prepare weekly and quarterly written reports
- Coordinate and monitor CA duty schedule
- Review CA weekly reports as appropriate/directed by AC
- Meet weekly with supervisor
- Assist staff with difficult student conduct issues or confrontations
- Perform other duties as requested by the Area Coordinator
Each SCA will be responsible for one or two of the following additional responsibilities:
- Monitor the development and implementation of CA programming in the area
- Advise hall government and/or mentor CAs advising hall government
- Plan and implement staff development activities
- Plan and implement staff recognition activities
- Serve as a liaison to mailroom staff and Community Service Officers (CSOs)
- The SCA reports directly to an Area Coordinator and indirectly to the Assistant Director of the area.
Dates of Employment
- Position begins August 2011 and ends June 2012.
- Compensation includes room, board, voice mail and a stipend of $750 per quarter.
Please see the application process for the SCA position for full details.