New Resident Assistant
***The RA application deadline has been extended to Tuesday, January 21, at 12:00 PM Central Time**
Resident Assistant Application Procedures
This information is for new candidates only. Any current staff member should refer to the returning RA information.
To learn more about the RA position, please refer to any of these great resources:
- A brief overview of the RA position
- RA Application Instructions and Timeline
- Instructions on how to submit the 1-minute video
- The PowerPoint slides from the RA Info Sessions
- FAQ (coming soon)
To apply for the Resident Assistant (RA) position, follow these steps:
1. Fill out the RA Application.
2. If you receive financial aid, contact the undergraduate financial aid office regarding your aid package to learn how becoming a RA may affect your financial aid for next year.
3. Community Assistant Feedback Form: Send the appropriate RA Feedback Form link to your current or former CA for them to complete and submit by the deadline (Friday, January 17, 2014). If you cannot reach the person who was your CA when you lived on campus, you may ask a current CA to complete your form. If you do not know any current CAs, you may contact a CA and ask him or her to interview you for the purpose of completing the feedback form.
*There are two options for each form: waived and non-waived. It is extremely important that you send the correct form/link to your current or former CA, as it indicates your preference on being able to review the form in the future.
- If you agree that the content of this document is to remain confidential and waive the right to see it, please use this Waived CA Feedback Form
- If you may wish to see this document at a later point and do not waive the right to see it, please use this Non-Waived CA Feedback Form
4. Reference Form: Send the appropriate Reference Form link to someone you have asked to be your reference. This recommendation form may not be completed by any current Northwestern Residential Services staff members, other undergraduate students, or family members. Ask your reference to submit the form by the deadline (Friday, January 17, 2014).
*There are two options for each form: waived and non-waived. It is extremely important that you send the correct form/link to your reference, as it indicates your preference on being able to review the form in the future.
- If you agree that the content of this document is to remain confidential and waive the right to see it, please use this Waived Reference Form
- If you may wish to see this document at a later point and do not waive the right to see it, please use this Non-Waived Reference Form
5. Submit your application, references and one-minute video by the deadline. Be sure to sign up for a mandatory Group Process interview slot when submitting your application. Candidates will be able to pick from 7 options to attend the Group Process interview:
Thursday Feb 6, 2014
3:15 PM-5:35 p.m.
6:15 PM-8:35 p.m.
Friday Feb 7, 2014
2:15 PM-4:35 p.m.
5:15 PM -7:35 p.m.
Saturday Feb 8, 2014
9:00 AM-11:20 a.m.
12:00 PM-2:20 p.m.
3:00pm -5:20 p.m.
6. The 2014 application timeline is:
- November 13: Applications available online
- January 17: Applications, references, and video submissions due to Residential Services by 3:00 p.m.
- February 6, 7, 8: Group Process
- February 26: RA Decisions letters distributed
- March 5: Candidate response due by 3:00 p.m.
Optional Sessions and Workshops
RA Information Sessions
Learn more about the Resident Assistant (RA) position by attending one of these 3 information sessions:
- Wednesday, Nov 20, 5:30-6:30 p.m. in Elder Residential Community 030
- Thursday, Nov 21, 6:30-7:30 p.m. in Parkes Hall 214
- Monday, Nov 25 from 6:30-7:30 p.m. in Tech L170
- Tuesday, January 7 from 6:00-7:00 p.m. in University Hall 121
- Thursday, January 9 from 6:00-7:00 p.m. in Tech L168
RA Application Essay Review
Drop by this essay review session held by the Writing Place Tutors to get individual feedback on your RA application essays. You can stay for the entire duration of the session or come for just a portion:
- Tuesday, Dec 3, 8:30-10:00 p.m. in Allison 1021
RA Interview Skills Workshop
Group Process will carry a lot of weight in the RA Selection Committee’s decision to hire RA applicants. Therefore, Residential Services is offering an Interview Skills Workshop to better prepare candidates for the event. The dates we are offering are:
- January 28, 2014 from 5:00-6:30 p.m.
- January 29, 2014 from 6:00-7:30 p.m.
- January 30, 2014 from 5:30-7:00 p.m.
Candidates who mark on their RA Application one of these dates/times will be notified of the location of the workshop via e-mail.
Before you submit your application, please consider the following suggestions:
- Be active in your community. Attend programs, volunteer with hall government, hang out with other residents and get to know staff members. Being part of the community will help you better understand the needs of residents.
- Give yourself plenty of time to complete your application and solicit your references.
- Have others review your essays.
- Get the input of your friends and those who currently work in Residential Services. Getting help with your application is not cheating. Thoughtful preparation will demonstrate your interest in working for us. We encourage you to visit the Writing Place.
- If you have any questions, please contact Residential Services at email@example.com.