Whether you are choosing to spend funds from your social account or maintenance account, it is important to follow all University Residential Life (URL) and Student Organization Finance Office (SOFO) guidelines. You should also review your individual hall government's constitution for additional procedures specific to your residence hall or residential college.
Review your hall budget with the new executive board and advisors. Set the goals and plans for the coming quarter. By doing this now, there will be no chance to overspend, thus causing your account to be frozen. (When your account is frozen, the hall government is unable to access the funds until the issues with the account are resolved.)
Requirements to access funds
- All hall government presidents and treasurers must attend SOFO training. If you are unable to attend the training sessions offered by University Residential Life (URL), contact URL at 847-491-3541.
- The incoming president and treasurer must sign a signature card with SOFO.
- The outgoing president and treasurer must sign out on the same signature card.
- Presidents and treasurers must take a SOFO quiz following the training before they can process vouchers.
- All ledger books must be balanced at the beginning of the quarter or your account will be frozen. This means all cash advances and deficits must be cleared.
Requirements for obtaining signatures from your advisor
Receipts, invoices and vouchers must be signed by your advisors.
- All community assistant advisors can sign up to $100.00.
- All area coordinators (ACs) and residence hall coordinators can sign up to $500.00
- All assistant directors (ADs) can sign up to $1000.00
- Anything greater than $1000.00 must be signed by the Director of URL.
To schedule an appointment with an AC, AD, or director, contact URL at 847-491-3541. Please note that staff will not schedule same-day appointments. To find the list of ACs and ADs (to ensure that you meet with the correct staff member responsible for your residence hall or residential college), refer to the staff directory.
Additional SOFO requirements
- All receipts must be submitted to SOFO for processing within 90 days of the purchase date.
- All invoices and receipts must be accompanied by a SOFO voucher, signed by both the president and treasurer, in order for SOFO to remit a reimbursement.
- Follow all guidelines in the SOFO Policies and Procedures Manual.