New Community Assistant
Community Assistant Application Procedures
This information is for new candidates only. Any current staff member should refer to the returning CA information.
Residential Services is not accepting CA applications after January 18, 2013. To learn more about the CA position, please refer to any of these great resources:
- A brochure highlighting the key aspects of the CA position (pdf)
- A brief overview of the CA position
- The powerpoint slides from the CA Info Sessions
- Instructions on how to submit the 1-minute video
- Instructions for completing the CA application
To apply for the Community Assistant (CA) position, follow these steps:
- Register with NU CareerCat through University Career Services. You do not need to complete this step if you have previously registered with CareerCat.
- Within NU CareerCat, search for the position description using the keyword "Community Assistant." In the position description, you will find the link to Residential Services’ online application form. All current Northwestern students must access the application through CareerCat. Non-NU students cannot register for NU Career Cat and must email firstname.lastname@example.org to request an application.
- If you receive financial aid, contact the undergraduate financial aid office regarding your aid package to learn how becoming a CA may affect your financial aid for next year.
- Print the Community Assistant Feedback Form (pdf). Complete the top portion and then ask a current or former CA to the complete the reference portion and return it directly to Residential Services by the deadline. Any current or past CA may complete the form for you. If you cannot reach the person who was your CA when you lived on campus, you may ask a current CA to complete your form. If you do not know any current CAs, you may contact a CA and ask him or her to interview you for the purpose of completing the feedback form.
- Print the Community Assistant Reference Form (pdf). Complete the top portion and then ask a reference to complete the rest of the form. This recommendation form may not be completed by any current Northwestern Residential Services staff members, other undergraduate students, or family members. Ask your reference to submit the form to us via e-mail attachment, US mail or fax by the deadline.
- Submit your application, references and one-minute video by the deadline.
- The 2012 application timeline is:
- November 16: Applications available online
- January 18: Applications, references & video submissions due to Residential Services by 9am
- February 7, 8, 9: CA Group Interviews at Norris
- February 27: Decision letters distributed (tentative)
- March 6: CA candidate decisions due
- The application timeline for the 2014-15 academic year will be posted here by September 2013
Before you submit your application, please consider the following suggestions:
- Attend an information session and talk to people who are currently in hall staff positions. You could even ask to spend a few hours with a CA to see what it is like.
- Be active in your community. Attend programs, volunteer with hall government, hang out with other residents and get to know staff members. Being part of the community will help you better understand the needs of residents.
- Give yourself plenty of time to complete your application and solicit your references. Have others review your essays. Get the input of your friends and those who currently work in Residential Services.Getting help with your application is not cheating. Thoughtful preparation will demonstrate your interest in working for us. We encourage you to attend a writer's workshop sponsored by Residential Services and the Writing Place.Attend a CA information session to register for a workshop or e-mail us.Space is limited, registration will be on a first come, first serve basis.
- Once CA candidates have submitted an application they are invited to an optional interview skills workshop and a workshop on the CA role in creating socially just living communities.