Overview of Position
Each Community Assistant plays an essential role in the success of Northwesterns residential communities. CAs are responsible for getting to know their residents and helping all residents get to know one another. CAs provide caring support and encouragement as well as programs and services to engage and educate residents. CAs must be friendly, mature, responsible, and articulate. It is also important for CAs to exhibit a positive attitude and sound personal integrity in order to serve as positive role models. In addition to their roles with residents, CAs must be comfortable interacting with University officials, faculty, parents and guests.
Three areas of responsibility for CAs:
- Community Development: Plans inclusive social and educational activities, supports and/or advises hall government officers. Relevant experience: community organizing, events planning, effective communication, mediation and negotiation.
- Resident Education: Ensures residents are aware of and using university resources and are informed of university policies and procedures. Encourages social responsibility and healthy living. Relevant experience: demonstrated ability to be sensitive to others, persuasive, resourceful, engaging, self-motivated, and able to work well in teams. Commitment to social justice.
- Safety and Security: Responds to emergency situations and confronts and refers violations of university policy. Relevant experience: demonstrated ability to make sound decisions, confront peers, solve problems, act impartially, maintain composure under pressure and respect confidentiality.
- The CA reports directly to an Area Coordinator and indirectly to the Assistant Director of Residential Services.
Dates of Employment
- Position begins September 2013 and ends June 2014.
- Compensation includes room, board, and voice mail.
Any new candidate wishing to apply for a CA position should refer to the application process for new community assistants.
Any current CA wishing to return as a CA for next year should refer to the application process for returning community assistants.