Things to Know About Summer HousingThank you for your interest in summer housing at Northwestern University. Please review the following information carefully before accessing and submitting your summer housing application.
All summer housing assignments will be made to single occupancy rooms in the Foster-Walker Complex. Foster-Walker is located on the south end of campus and is a short walk from the Foster Street El stop, Lake Michigan, and downtown Evanston. Groups of 3-5 rooms with residents of the same sex share a common restroom with shower and toilet facilities. Restroom facilities will be maintained by building staff; however, residents are responsible for the cleanliness of their individual sleeping rooms.
Rooms are air-conditioned and include the following furnishings: a bed frame and mattress*, a desk with bookshelf, a desk chair, a floor lamp, a set of dresser drawers, and a wardrobe unit with space to hang clothing. All individual rooms come with wall-to-wall carpeting. * Mattresses in Foster-Walker measure 80 inches long, also known as twin extra-long. A fitted sheet for a regular twin bed will not fit the mattress. The average room is 9' wide by 12' deep. Linens, pillows, blankets, and towels are not provided. Residents must provide their own bed linens and towels. Full laundry facilities are located within Foster-Walker complex and may be operated with 25-cent coins (quarters), washers cost $1.00 per load and dryers cost $1.00 per load.
Summer residents will have access to the Internet; however there will be no access to a telephone within their room. Smoking is prohibited within all areas of Foster-Walker Complex including individual sleeping rooms.
- Given the transient nature of summer housing, and the difference in coverage during the summer, an age requirement has been imposed for residents in summer housing. Summer housing residents must be at least 18 years of age, unless they are members of a special program which provides live-in counselors/staff, or are matriculated Northwestern University undergraduate students.
- Summer residents may check-in beginning at 2:00p.m. on June 23rd at the front desk of Foster-Walker. Should residents arrive outside of operation hours for the front desk, contact information will be posted on the bulletin board for the Resident Assistant on duty. Check-out will also be with the CA (Community Assistant) on duty.
- Many applicants requested an end date past 8/24/2013. August 24th at 12 noon is the final day of summer housing. Students and residents must make other arrangements for housing between August 24th and September 16th.
- Summer housing is billed on a weekly basis (Sunday-Saturday). If you requested an end date that was not a Saturday, your contract has been extended through to the Saturday following your requested end date. Should you wish to alter your end date to an earlier Saturday, please let us know on the application on which day you will be leaving.
- Summer housing board rates for a week is $252.00. Your bill will accurately reflect the dates of your stay in summer housing and will be due July 1st.
- Those applicants who are currently residing in Foster-Walker and will remain in the same room for the summer MUST make arrangements with Residential Life so that your belongings are not removed from the room when cleaning occurs for the summer.
- If you are a current resident of Foster-Walker living on floors 1 through 4 on the West side, unfortunately your room is unavailable for summer housing. Therefore, you will be required to move to the room listed on your contract for summer housing. Please contact Residential Services to arrange for the relocation of your belongings prior to June 23rd.
- Optional board contracts are available to summer housing residents. There are two summer meal plans available, a 6 week long meal plan for $954.00 or a 7 week long meal plan for $1113.00. All meal plans begin on Monday, June 24 and include 21 meals each week to be used in the Foster-Walker dining room. Alternatively you may pay cash to enter the dining hall, or use Munch Money added to your WildCARD. To learn more about Munch Money, or to add it to your account, visit http://www.nucuisine.com/plans/munch_money.html. To sign up for summer meal plans go to http://www.nucuisine.com/plans/summer.html or stop by the Food Service office (Seabury Hall, 600 Haven Street, 1st floor). If you have any questions, please call 847/491-2020.
- All vehicles parked on-campus require a parking permit. Residents should contact the Parking office (847/491-3319) for information regarding availability of parking permits in addition to rates and lots in which vehicles are permitted to park.
The number of available rooms for the summer is very limited. Applicants MUST sign and send back their Summer Housing Application prior to May 25, 2013. This Application is binding. If applications are unsigned, applicants will be unable to check-in to their assigned room. Beginning the first week in June, the Housing office will send out your assignments to the e-mail address listed on your application. If a resident wants to cancel, they will need to send us an e-mail, stating that you would like to cancel and the reason why.
Please note: Under no circumstances does submitting an application for summer housing guarantee that it will be granted. Available rooms will be assigned to eligible applicants on a first-come first-served basis.
Should you have any questions regarding your assignment or summer housing in general, please contact Vina Bondurant the Summer Coordinator at the Undergraduate Housing Office, at 847/491-7564 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to seeing you on-campus this summer.