Maintenance/Housekeeping FAQs

I have a maintenance issue in my room/on my floor/in the building. To whom should I report the problem?

All non-emergency repair requests, including burned-out lightbulbs, should be submitted online via the NU Housing Portal. When asked for a password, enter “wildcat.”

Who can I talk to about recurring issues in my room?

Please speak to your RA first. Your RA will then contact the appropriate person.