Transfer SEVIS Record
You must transfer your SEVIS record to NU if any of the following apply:
- you are currently enrolled in a college, university, or high school in the U.S.;
- you have recently graduated from a college, university, or high school in the U.S.;
- you have completed or are completing a period of Optional Practical Training (OPT) or Academic Training (AT).
To initiate your SEVIS transfer, ask your current (or previous) institution's International Student Advisor to complete the SEVIS Transfer In Form.
Then, please follow the rest of the steps to submit your I-20 or DS-2019 Request.
- F-1 students must be transferred in SEVIS to Northwestern University within 60 days of the program end date on the I-20 or within 60 days of the OPT end date.
- J-1 Students must be transferred in SEVIS to Northwestern University by the program end date on the DS-2019.
SEVIS Fee, Travel and Visa Stamps in Transfer Status
- You do not need to pay the SEVIS fee again once your record has been transferred.
- If you leave the United States before beginning your studies at Northwestern and enter the U.S. with your Northwestern transfer I-20 or DS-2019, the previous visa stamp, if still valid, can be used.
- F-1 and J-1 Students may not arrive to the U.S. more than 30 days before the start date on your I-20/DS-2019.