SEVIS Transfer

F-1 and J-1 students may find their studies at Northwestern interrupted by either transferring to a new institution or withdrawing completely. A student is required to transfer his/her immigration status and record to a new institution, and must contact the IO to process this request. A student who is withdrawing from Northwestern either temporarily or permanently should also notify the IO.

Keep in mind the following when applying for a SEVIS transfer:

  • Once a record has been transferred, the IO will not longer have access to it.
  • Once a record has been transferred, the transfer cannot be canceled or reversed.

To complete a SEVIS Transfer, a student must access the SEVIS Transfer Form and submit it to the IO.

It is highly recommended that students see an IO advisor for guidance and clarification regarding the transfer process.