Frequently Asked Questions

What can I do if I am denied a Visa?
If you encounter a denial from a U.S. Embassy or Consulate, be sure to first request a written notification explaining the reason(s) for the denial. Next, visit the Resources page on our website for information regarding how the IO can help in the event of a denial or delay.

When can I come to the United States?
The U.S. Consulate abroad can process your visa up to 120 days before the program start date. You may enter the country as early as 30 days in advance of the program start date.

How can my dependents (husband, wife or children) come with me?
If they plan to come, they must be issued their own SEVIS I-20 or DS-2019. In order for the International Office to issue your dependents a form I-20 or DS-2019, you must include them on your visa request packet, and show sufficient financial support. Once they've been issued their form, your dependents can apply for dependent status (F-2 or J-2) at the U.S. consulate or embassy abroad.

What if the financial information is wrong on my I-20?
As long as the I-20 states that you have sufficient funds for your program you are eligible to apply for and receive a student visa. However, if the funds are less than what the cost of the program is, you should contact the IO to change it.

What should I do when I arrive to campus?
Get some rest and find your bearings—then, please make time to check-in at the IO.