Employment/Internship/Volunteer Authorization

Employment options for international students are limited but available. Students in F-1 and J-1 visa status are eligible to work on campus on a part-time basis, which is up to 20 hours per week while school is in session. During holiday breaks and the summer vacation, a student can work full-time on campus without authorization.

Students in F-1 and J-1 visa status are eligible to work off campus only after obtaining specific employment authorization from the International Office and in certain instances USCIS. Permission to engage in off-campus employment must be obtained in advance of beginning employment, even if it is for purposes of fulfilling an internship requirement.

Interviewing tips for International Students from University Career Services

For more information regarding visa type and the associated employment authorizations, see below.

F-1 Employment

On-Campus Employment
Curricular Practical Training
Optional Practical Training

To see a schedule of upcoming OPT and CPT workshops, see our homepage here.

J-1 Employment

On-Campus Employment
Academic Training
J-2 Employment Authorization