Maintaining Your Status

Federal regulations require all international students to maintain their F-1 or J-1 status while residing in the U.S. Please keep in mind that the information below is not comprehensive and consultation with an International Student Advisor at the International Office may be required.

I-20/DS-2019 Information Updates
Address Information
Updating Emergency Information in CAESAR
International Student Compliance

I-20/DS-2019 Information Updates

F-1 and J-1 students are required to maintain up-to-date information on their I-20/DS-2019's.  To report a change in any of the following: financial information, academic program/level, name change, immigration status, please inform us:

  • Changes in Financial Information, Academic Program and/or Academic Level, please submit the F-1/J-1 Student Information Update Form.  
  • The IO is responsible for updating your name change in Caesar and on your I-20 (not the registrar).  If you need to update your name, please submit a copy of your new passport to your assigned International Student Advisor or during walk-in hours. 
  • Note: If you obtain another immigration status, please submit a copy of your USCIS Approval Notice, Green Card, etc. 

Address Information

All international students are required by U.S. federal immigration regulation to maintain a permanent foreign and U.S. address. F-1 and J-1 students must always maintain Current and Permanent Address types in CAESAR as these addresses are automatically reported from CAESAR to SEVIS.

Please log onto CAESAR to ensure your addresses are current and have been updated per the instructions below.
1. Once you have logged onto CAESAR; use the menu on the left-hand side of the screen to navigate to the Personal Portfolio.
2. Select My Addresses.
3. Select the Edit button next to the address type you would like to edit, or select the Add a New Address if the address type you are adding has not yet been created.

  •  Your Current Address must consist of a U.S. address. Don’t forget to change the country type using the Change Country hyperlink (see screen shot below).
  • Your Permanent Address must consist of a non-U.S. address. Don’t forget to change the country type using the Change Country hyperlink (see screen shot below).

4. Update/change the selected address.
5. Select the OK button when finished.
6. Select the Save button to save your changes.
NOTE: Kellogg MBA students must update their addresses via the Matrix interface.

Updating Emergency Information in CAESAR

All NU students are required to maintain accurate emergency information in their CAESAR account. Instructions can be found here.

International Student Compliance

It is the responsibility of the student to maintain F-1 or J-1 status. In order to comply, you must:

  • Enroll in classes every quarter/semester.
  • Enroll full-time each quarter/semester, unless otherwise authorized for a Reduced Course Load.
    • Full-time enrollment per quarter consists of 3 or more units.
    • Full-time enrollment per semester consists of 8 or more units.
  • Maintain a valid passport at all times.
  • Maintain a valid, unexpired Form I-20/DS-2019 at all times.
    • You must apply for an Extension to your program of study prior to the expiration date listed on either your Form I-20/DS-2019.
    • You must request a new I-20 or DS-2019 if your academic major/program changes, or if you change your academic level (i.e. from Master's to PhD).
    • You must report a change in financial support and request a new I-20 or DS-2019 (i.e. if your funding changes from scholarship funds to family funding).
  • Attend the institution listed on your Form I-20/DS-2019. Prior approval is required to transfer to another school or enroll concurrently at another local institution.
  • Report a change of address within 5 days via CAESAR. This information is then transmitted to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
  • Report a change in your name to the Office of the Registrar. You will be required to provide legal documentation of this change. Please report any name changes for your dependents to the IO.
  • Refrain from working off-campus without prior approval and authorization from the IO.
    • When working on-campus F-1/J-1 students are allowed to work 20 hours per week while school is in session, and 20 or more hours during school breaks and holidays.
    • To attain authorization to accept employment off-campus, please review the information regarding Employment and then meet with an advisor to discuss your options.
  • F-1 Students have a 60 day grace period and J-1 students have a 30 day grace period in which you may remain in the U.S. after the end date on your I-20/DS-2019
  • Consult with the IO if you plan to transfer to a new institution or withdraw from NU completely.
    • If you plan to leave NU or are dismissed from the university, you must report this to the IO immediately.
    • If you plan to transfer to a new institution, you must complete the Transfer Out form and consult with the IO to have your immigration records transferred.