J-2 Employment Authorization

USCIS may grant an individual in J-2 status permission to accept employment in the United States. An individual in J-2 status may not submit an application for employment authorization with USCIS until they have entered the U.S. A J-2 is not eligible to be employed until they have received employment authorization from USCIS and have been issued an Employment Authorization Document (EAD). Authorized employment for individuals in J-2 status is limited to the dates listed on the EAD. Once the application has been received by USCIS, it may take three months or more to be approved.

For more information see the J-2 Employment Authorization Guide document.