Submit a Visa Request
Complete the I-20/DS-2019 Request Form
NOTE: Admitted for Summer or Fall 2017? The I-20/DS-2019 Request Form is NOW available (March 13, 2017) for students admitted to programs at Northwestern to begin in summer or fall 2017. When selecting your program from the drop-down menu (page 1 on either I-20 or DS-2019 Request Forms), if you notice a message that says "We are not currently accepting I-20 or DS-2019 Requests for this program," please check the request again in 7-10 business days as program-specific information is still being provided to us and we are updating the I-20/DS-2019 Request forms as quickly as possible.
All incoming international students must request an I-20 or DS-2019 through the International Office. Please follow the steps listed below. Here is additional information for two special situations:
- Transfer your SEVIS record from another U.S. institution (if you are currently in F-1 or J-1 status)
- Change of Status students
Unless otherwise noted below, you will need a valid Northwestern issued NetID and password in order to access NUPortal to submit your I-20 or DS-2019 Request.
NOTE: If you do not yet have an active NetID, please contact your admitting department to inquire when you will receive NetID activation information.
- I-20 Request Form or DS-2019 Request Form (completed)
- A copy of your passport (biographical page only)
- A copy of your Northwestern admission letter
- Copies of financial documentation
- Dependent documentation (if applicable)
- Additional documents for transferring your SEVIS record, or changing your visa status
All admitting departments issue admitted students a letter either virtual (e-mailed) or a hardcopy. Please include an electronic copy of this letter with your I-20 Request or DS-2019 Request.
All new F-1 international students are required to show proof that funds are guaranteed for the first year of study.
All new J-1 international students are required to show proof that funds are guaranteed for the full length of his/her program.
Submit the request
Once your I-20/DS-2019 Request package is complete, please save it as one .pdf file using your last/sur and first name as the file name. Example: WILDCATwillie.pdf
To submit your request, you will need to log in to the NUPortal: https://nuportal.northwestern.edu/
(Note: you will need a valid NetID and Password to log in to the NUPortal.)
Once you are in the NUPortal, take the following steps:
- Click Student Services from the menu on the left of the screen.
- Then click on International Student Document Upload.
- Once there, you will need to select the program to which you have been admitted from the drop-down menu.
- Once selected, you will need to check the box related to the document you are requesting (either I-20 or DS-2019)
- Then select browse to locate your completed .pdf file for upload to the system and press submit.
Upon submission, you will receive confirmation via email. After your request has been reviewed by an advisor, you will be sent a second email indicating if your I-20/DS-2019 Request is complete and in process, or if the request is incomplete and needs to be resubmitted.
Questions? Email: email@example.com
Incomplete applications will be sent back for correction. Processing of application will only begin when the application is COMPLETE.
NU Law students will not submit the I-20 or DS-2019 Request via the NUPortal. NU Law students must follow the directions listed here to submit an I-20 or DS-2019 Request. Questions? Please contact Amanda Hansen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once a complete application has been submitted, it will take approximately 10 business days for the advisor to process the I-20 or DS-2019. We appreciate your patience during this busy time for the IO!
You and your admitting department will receive an email from the IO once your document has been issued. Your admitting department will pick it up from the IO and mail it to you directly. Please provide your admitting office with an address where this document can safely reach you.