Establish or Transfer a SEVIS Record

The Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) acts as the bridge for varied government organizations needing information on foreign students. SEVP uses the web-based Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS), to track students, exchange visitors and their dependents while they participate within the U.S. education system.

Establish a record and pay the SEVIS fee

Newly admitted students must establish a record and pay a one-time fee before they can obtain an F-1 or J-1 visa. Payment information and instructions are found on the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement website.

About the fee

  • It is not a University fee, and it is in addition to any fees you might be required to pay at a U.S. consulate.
  • Dependent family members are not required to pay the fee.

Transfer your SEVIS record to NU

You must transfer your SEVIS record to NU if any of the following apply:

  • you are currently enrolled in a college, university, or high school in the U.S.;
  • you have recently graduated from a college, university, or high school in the U.S.;
  • you have completed or are completing a period of Optional Practical Training (OPT) or Academic Training (AT).

You do not need to pay the SEVIS fee again once your record has been transferred.

Instructions for transferring SEVIS record

  1. Ask your current (or previous) institution's International Student Advisor to complete the SEVIS Transfer-In Form. It is also included in the I-20/DS-2019 Request Form.
  2. Submit your SEVIS Transfer-In Form with your I-20/DS-2019 Request Form.

SEVIS transfer deadlines:

  • F-1 students: within 60 days of the program end date on the I-20 or within 60 days of the OPT end date.
  • J-1 students: by the program end date on the DS-2019.