Reinstate Visa Status After a Violation
If you are a F-1 or J-1 student who is currently out of status or recently terminated, you may apply to regain your immigration through the reinstatement process.
About visa violations
We recommend that any student who is unsure about his or her current status (and considering reinstatement) see an IO adviser as soon as possible. A student may be in violation of his/her immigration status for one or more of the following reasons:
- Enrolling less than full-time.
- Failure to enroll without prior IO authorization.
- Changing academic level without prior IO authorization.
- Failure to apply for an I-20/DS-2019 extension before the end-date listed.
- For New and Transfer-In students, failure to Check-In at the IO within five days of arrival on-campus.
How to apply for reinstatement
- The first step in applying for reinstatement is consultation with the IO staff as soon as possible. We can help you understand the detailed application and procedure, which is very specific.
- Please note that an application must be submitted within five months of the status violation.