Changing Student Visa Status
In a number of circumstances, you may wish to change to F-1/J-1 from your current immigration status (B-1/2, F-2, H-1B, H-4, J-1) while remaining in the U.S. This process can take 4-6 months for approval, and you may not be able to study before your Change of Status is approved. Please contact the IO at email@example.com before applying.
How to change your visa status
1. Complete the I-20 (for F-1 Visas) or DS-2019 (for J-1 Visas) Request Form.
- Follow the steps listed here
2. Receive the 1-20/DS/DS-2019 and pay the SEVIS fee.
- Follow the steps to pay the SEVIS fee only here
3. Submit an application for the Change of Status (COS) to USCIS
You must provide the following documents to the appropriate USCIS office. Check the Form I-539 instructions to determine to which address you should mail your application. (Note: Photocopy your entire COS application before sending it to USCIS.)
- A completed and signed Form I-539
The I-539 is available in the Forms section on the USCIS web site.
- Processing fee
A check or money order must be made out to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. Check USCIS for current fee.
- An original I-20 or DS-2019 issued by Northwestern University
Make sure that you provide all pages of the forms and check to see that the form is signed by both you and the appropriate school official in the appropriate place.
- Proof of SEVIS fee payment
You can pay the SEVIS fee online at www.fmjfee.com. (Note that you must have the I-20/DS-2019 to pay the SEVIS fee.)
- Proof of adequate financial support
This documentation includes original bank documents, student loan information, scholarships, fellowships, teaching or research assistantships indicating that you or your sponsor has the financial ability to cover your educational and living expenses for one full academic year. The amount you must prove will be indicated on your I-20 or DS-2019.
- Photocopies of passport
Include both biographical and current visa pages.
- Original I-94 card or printout of electronic I-94, accessible online at www.cbp.gov/I94
This is the small white card often stapled inside your passport.
- Dependent(s) documentation: photocopies of passport biographical page(s), current visa stamp(s), I-94 cards, their original I-20 or DS-2019 issued by Northwestern University
Include these if you have dependent(s) that are applying for a change of status to F-2 or J-2 with you. Additionally, you must provide financial support for your dependent(s). The amount is indicated on your I-20 or DS-2019.
- Additional documents
Additional documents may be needed. Contact the IO at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
4. Wait for approval; then check-in at the International Office
You will receive a paper approval notice in the mail. Once you receive this notice, you must check-in at the IO within 5 business days. Bring your passport, I-20/DS-2019, and COS Approval Notice to the International Office during business hours.