Tax Assistance

Sprintax Now Available! An easy-to-use online tool that will help you prepare your state and federal tax returns.

To help with federal tax preparation, we offer Sprintax to to current international students and scholars.

Sprintax is an online preparation system designed exclusively for international students, scholars, and their dependents. It will help you in preparing U.S. Federal Income Tax forms (both 1040NR and 1040NR-EZ), as well as do the following:

  • Calculates the substantial presence test to determine the foreign national's U.S. residency status;
  • Verifies each type of payment for any applicable income tax treaty exemptions;
  • Checks if the individual is eligible for "away-from-home" expenses (if he or she has been in the U.S. for less than 12 months);
  • Completes the correct U.S. income tax form - either Form 1040NR or Form 1040NR-EZ;
  • Prepares any additional statements or attachments, as applicable - Form 2106, Form 8843, Schedule C, and/or Scholarship/Fellowship Grant Statement;
  • Prints the tax return and all attachments (please note, the IRS does not allow nonresident aliens to file a tax return electronically); and
  • Provides detailed instructions about how, when and where to submit the tax return, as well as information about the documents necessary to attach and complete the tax return filing process.
  • Will help you prepare a state tax return for any state in which you had earned income in 2014. (The state tax preparation costs $24.95.)

Get started

Access the Sprintax website. To log-in, you will need your access code, which the IO sent to you in an email. If you did not receive an access code, email your advisor. Don't know your advisor? See this list!

Gather the following documents and information before logging in:
  • Passport
  • Immigration Docs (I-20 or DS-2019)
  • SSN or ITIN (if you have been assigned one)
  • Address Information (US and Foreign)
  • U.S. Entry and Exit Dates - current and past!
  • Academic Institution Information
  • Forms W-2, 1042-S and/or 1099 (if you received one)
  • A copy of your 2010 federal tax return, if you filed one in 2010