Pre-completion type of OPT is used before the end date listed on your I-20, usually during the summer vacation and only if CPT is not an option.
If you are approved for this type of authorization, you must abide by the following guidelines.
- Students on pre-completion OPT can only work part-time during school sessions. You can work full-time during official school vacation, such as summer.
- Any time used on pre-completion OPT will be subtracted from the 12 months of post-completion OPT
- You must still wait to receive the EAD before you can begin work. USCIS processing times are 3-4 months.
Are you eligible?
You must meet the following criteria:
- You have been lawfully enrolled as a full-time student at least one full academic year (3 quarters, or 2 semesters)
- You are currently in F-1 status.
How to apply
You must meet with an IO advisor before beginning the pre-completion OPT application process.