Registering Children in School
Children in the Evanston area can attend an elementary or middle school in School District 65.
Students are assigned an attendance-area elementary or middle school based on their residence address. District 65's website provides a map that demarcates the areas for each school.
Birth dates and kindergarten/first grade registration
- Children who are 5 years old on or before September 1 are eligible for kindergarten.
- Based upon an assessment of the child’s readiness, a child will be allowed to attend first grade if he or she attended a non-public preschool, continued his or her education at that school through kindergarten, was taught in kindergarten by an appropriately certified teacher, and will be 6 years old on or before December 31st.
How to register your child
Families new to the district and enrolling for the current school year may register from Monday through Friday 8:00am – 4:00 pm and during the summer from Monday through Thursday 8:00 am to 4:30 pm.
1. Create an online registration account and complete a registration form.
For your convenience, computers are available in the lobby of the JEH Education Center, and staff is available to provide assistance.
2. Finalize registration in person by bringing required documents.
Bring the following documents to JEH Education Center, 1500 McDaniel Avenue:
- Original birth certificate (visa or passport can be used if birth certificate is unavailable.)
- District 65 Student Fees Form
- If transferring from another school in Illinois: Illinois State Board of Education Student Transfer Form
- Copies of three current documents that show your name and address:
- One of the following: signed lease and/or letter signed by your NU department attesting to your name, address, and dates of employment
- Two of the following: gas bill, electric bill, water/sewer bill, phone bill, cable bill, vehicle registration, bank statement, credit card statement, paycheck stub, driver's license/state ID
3. Submit your child's physical exam and proof of up-to-date immunizations to Health Services.
- This must be submitted prior to the first day of school.
- The District 65's Health Requirements web page lists additional health requirements and forms for certain grade levels.
If you have questions about the registration process either email firstname.lastname@example.org call 847-859-8065 or 847-859-8056 or visit http://www.district65.net/parentsandstudents/registration.