Graduate International Student Orientation
September 16, 2015
The International Office is excited to welcome incoming graduate international students at our annual Graduate International Student Orientation (G-ISO)! G-ISO is open to students in all academic programs and departments. This year, we will have separate sessions for master's and PhD/doctoral students.
- 9:30-11:30 am: Master's student session (Register HERE!)
- 1:30-3:30 pm: PhD student session (Register HERE!)
- 5-7 pm: Reception for all registered students
All G-ISO events are at the Hilton Orrington Hotel (MAP)
What happens at G-ISO?
- Meet other new graduate international students, the Graduate Sidekicks, and IO staff
- Complete immigration check-in
- Learn the key rules for maintaining your F-1/J-1 student status
- Learn about academic culture in the US and student life at Northwestern
Student may complete the Immigration Check-In process at G-ISO.
U.S. immigration regulation states all F-1/J-1 students are REQUIRED to "check-in" at the International Office within five days of your arrival on campus.
Please bring the following with you for check-in:
- I-20 or DS-2019 (original document);
- Passport (original document);
- F-1 or J-1 visa stamp (original document);
- A completed printout of the International Student Check-In Form;
- A U.S. address
Please note: All incoming international students will have a registration hold placed on their records. This means you will not be able to register for classes until you check in at the IO!
Your academic program/department may also have a separate orientation. Please ask your program/department for specific dates and requirements.