Use the following publications, charts, and checklists to complete common procedures and find answers to your questions.
- International Student and Scholar Handbook provides essential information for new residents, including information about grocery shopping, transportation, area restaurants and more.
- Change of Status Guideis designed to help students changing from one visa status to another.
- Spouse and Family Arrival Guide helps orient international spouses of new students, employees and visitors.
- 2012-13 Statistical Report provides a snapshot of Northwestern's international community.
Frequently asked questions
In addition to FAQs pages related to a specific process, we publish Asked/Answered, a newsletter for incoming international students.
Charts and checklists
- Visa processing times and fees chart compares the various employee and visitor visas.
- Types of H-1B visas presents the requirements for the various H-1B visas.
- Types of J-1 visas compares the various J-1 Exchange Visitor visas.
- H-1B Beneficiary Checklist lists the required documents for H-1B beneficiaries.
- H-1B Department Checklist lists the required documents for hiring departments.
- E-3 Beneficiary Checklist lists the required documents for E-3 beneficiaries.
- E-3 Department Checklist lists the required documents for hiring departments.
- IO Guidelines for Filing the I-539 provides tips for dependents.