Steps for Incoming Visitors & Departments
The process of requesting B-1 or WB status begins with the host department. After the department's request has been approved, the visitor will need to complete a series of steps.
1. Collect required documents
- Complete the Department B1/WB Request
- Write a Letter of Invitation using the template
- Obtain an approved Visiting Scholar Health Insurance Application (VSHIA) OR obtain a waiver of the Visiting Scholar Health Insurance, both through the Office of Risk Management.
- Obtain a copy of the visitor’s passport bio page
2. Scan and email the documents to the International Office
Complete requests should be emailed as one PDF to EVrequest@northwestern.edu
- Email subject: "B Request: LAST NAME, Start Date" (e.g. B Request: WILDCAT, 04/01/2013)
- File name: "BReq_LAST NAME, First Name" (e.g. BReq_WILDCAT, Willie)
3. An IO Advisor reviews the request and notifies the department
- If the request has been approved, or
- if the request has been denied. The advisor will provide other visa options.
4. If approved, the department sends letter of invitation to the visitor
1. Apply for B-1 or WB visa status
- Schedule a visa appointment at the US Embassy or Consulate in your home country to apply for a B-1 visa stamp.
- Check with the US Embassy or Consulate to verify which documents to present at the appointment. Common required documents:
- IO approved letter of invitation from Northwestern University department.
- Proof that the visitor has adequate finances to support himself/herself for the duration of stay in the U.S.
WB status in the Visa Waiver Program (VWP):
- The visitors passport must be issued by a VWP country and meet the requirements for VWP travel.
- Submit an intent to travel through the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA).
2. Enter the U.S.
Bring the letter of invitation from the Northwestern Host Department, proof of finances, and other relevant documentation with you upon arrival into the US.