Additional Requirements for J-1 Student Interns
J-1 Exchange Visitors may receive a salary or stipend from various parties. They can receive funding from Northwestern, the government, private organizations, or personal funds but the funding must meet the current living expense requirements.
- This requirement is currently $1,765/month or $21,180/year and does not include childcard or healthcare costs.
- If NU will be paying the J-1 intern, the required amount per hour must meet or exceed $8.25/hour.
- The internship must last for no more than 12 months and is full-time (at least 32 hours/week).
Duties and resources:
- The internship duties must not duplicate the student intern's prior experience.
- The internship must expose the student intern to American techniques, methodologies, and technology and expand upon his/her existing knowledge and skills.
- The internship not displace full or part-time temporary or permanent American workers or serve to fill a labor need.
- The internship exists solely to assist the student intern in achieving the objectives of the internship and does not involve more than 20% clerical work.
- The internship provides sufficient resources, equipment and trained personnel available for the specified internship.
- The intern must primarily be in the US to engage in the internship rather than employment or provide services to NU.
- The intern must be in good academic standing and currently pursuing an undergraduate degree outside the U.S.
- The intern must maintain satisfactory advancement towards completion of his/her internship.
- He or she will return to his/her home institution to complete the degree.
- S/he cannot transfer to NU while pursuing the internship.
- The intern must be oriented with the department personnel, equipment, procedures, etc.
- He or she must not be placed in an unskilled or casual labor position, in a position that requires or involves child care or elder care, a position in the field of aviation or in clinical positions or any other kind of work that involves patient care or contact, including therapy.
- NU student intern supervisor must complete a required evaluation of the intern's performance at the conclusion of the internship and for internships lasting longer than 6 months, a mid-point evaluation as well.
- The Supervisor Evaluation must be submitted to the International Office.