Apply for an initial E-3
The IO only accepts E-3 requests from NU sponsoring departments, so any E-3 application should begin with the E-3 applicant speaking with his or her sponsoring department; once the department has confirmed its sponsorship, the Australian National (AN) can apply.
Petitions can only be started 8 months prior to the employment start date. IO processing times are subject to change based on processing volume.
1. Submit required documentation to your host department.
Your host department must submit your forms and documents (listed below) along with its own documents as a complete package to the IO.
- Copy of passport biographical page
- Current curriculum vitae (CV)
- Copy of diploma(s)
- Copy of transcript(s)
- Credential evaluation
Recommended evaluation companies include: Evaluation Service, Inc.; World Education Services (WES); Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE)
If you once held a J-1 visa and are subject to the 212(e) two-year residency requirement:
- Copy of waiver recommendation
- Copy of I-612
If you once held an E-3:
- Copies of all past E-3 approval notices
2. Complete the online questionnaire in Law Logix
The International Office (IO) will send you necessary login information to Law Logix (ww8.welcomeclient.com) after your sponsoring department has submitted their request to the IO.
3. Make a visa appointment at a U.S. Consulate/Embassy to obtain your E-3 visa.
After processing, you will be sent required documentation for visa appointment.
You can obtain E-3 visas for your dependents at this time.
4. Arrival and check-in.
You are required to check-in at the International Office prior to starting work. Learn more about check-in procedures.
1. Collect required documents and submit them to the IO
In addition to the packet of documents submitted by the applicant (listed above), the host department is responsible for the following items:
- E-3 Application Cover Sheet
- E-3 Department Authorization Form
- Offer letter, including the E-3's start/end dates, annual salary, and job title
- E-3 Prevailing Wage and LCA Worksheet
- E-3 Itinerary Letter (See example)
- E-3 Site of Activity Worksheet
- E-3 Deemed Export Control Worksheet
- Official University position confirmation, which must cover dates of requested E-3
- For faculty: faculty appointment letter;
- For staff positions: Human Resources offer confirmation letter;
- For research staff: research staff appointment;
- For postdoctoral fellowships: postdoctoral research appointment.
- E-3 Actual Wage Benefits Memo
- $460 Processing fee check made payable to The Department of Homeland Security (must be paid by the department) *not required for overseas applicants
2. The IO and department handle the prevailing wage and Labor Condition Application requirements.
The following steps are required:
- The IO obtains the prevailing wage determination to ensure that the university's wage offer is adequate.
- The IO files a Labor Condition Application (LCA) with the Department of Labor.
- The IO emails the LCA notice to the host department, which posts it at a conspicuous place for 10 buisiness days. See posting notice instructions.
- The department then returns LCA to IO
3. The IO prepares materials for the E-3's visa application
- IO prepares E-3 packet for the Australian National to take to US Embassy
- IO gives package to Department to send to E-3.