Driver's License/State ID

NOTE: If you are a newly arrived student, employee or visitor and are eligible for a social security number, you must wait until 3 weeks after your start date to apply for a Temporary Driver's License or a Driver's License.

Driver's License

You must have a social security number in order to be eligible to apply for an Illinois State Driver's License. For more information about what documents you need to apply, please see the Secretary of State's website.

Temporary Driver's License

The Secretary of State's Office issues a "Temporary Visitor Driver's License" (TVDL) for non-citizens of the United States who have been granted temporary, legal entry into this country and are temporarily residing in the State of Illinois and ineligible for a Social Security number. You'll need the following documents: proof from Social Security Office that you are ineligble for an SSN, passport, 2 documents to prove your current address, I-20) For more information, visit the Secretary of State's website.

Illinois State ID

To drive in Illinois, motorists need a driver's license, but Illinois-issued ID cards can help Illinois residents prove their identity when banking, traveling, or in other situations. For more information, please see the Secretary of State's website.