Are You Interested in Sharing a Nanny?
If you are interested in having a nanny care for your child(ren) but are reluctant due to the expense, you might consider sharing a nanny with another Northwestern family.
Through the Nannyshare Program, the Office of Work/Life & Family Resources helps families network so that they can explore whether this creative child care arrangement might be a good option.
How it Works
To create a successful shared arrangement, you will need to find a compatible family and then together negotiate an agreement with a caregiver to ensure that everyone's needs are met.
1. Create a Nanny Job Description
- Define qualifications for your nanny.
- Outline the duties you expect your nanny to perform.
- Consider the benefits you will offer (vacation, personal time).
- Determine the hours and days you will need care.
- Decide the maximum amount you can budget for care.
2. Join the List
3. Find a Compatible Family
- After you submit your form, you will receive a list of Nannyshare participants.
- Contact families whom you feel would be a good match for you.
- Start with a phone conversation. Discuss your childcare philosophy and care needs.
- Set up a meeting to discuss your ideal arrangement.
4. Explore a Nannyshare Arrangement
Some issues to consider:
- How will daily household expenses, food, etc. be covered?
- What kinds of baby proofing, safety precautions are in place?
- Who will transport children and how?
- How will family and caregiver vacations be handled?
- What will happen when one of the children is ill?
- What kinds of discipline/teaching philosophy are you most comfortable with?
- What will the daily schedule of activities be?
- Are there any activities, such as television, that are restricted?
- Will the environment be a smoking or non-smoking one?
5. Find a Nanny
- Contact Action for Children, the NU resource and referral service, to help you find a nanny placement agency. Call 773-356-8135.
- The service can provide you with literature to guide you through the process of hiring and managing expectations of your in-home caregiver.
- Register for a free Sittercity account by following the prompts in the FASIS Self Service Portal. Sittercity offers access to thousands of pre-screened nannies throughout the Chicago area.
6. Removal from the List
- When you settle on an arrangement, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org so that your name can be removed from the Nannyshare list.
- Include any feedback about the program in your email.