#1: What is the age of the individual?
In order to volunteer or intern at Northwestern University, an individual should be at least 16 years of age.
Note: Exceptions may be made to the minimum age requirement in consultation with the Office of Human Resources.
#2: Are the activities hazardous?
The following activities are considered hazardous and are prohibited for all minors:
- Activities which handle explosives or any goods containing explosives.
- Activities which involve exposure to radioactive materials.
- Operations involved with the operating, tending, setting up, adjusting, cleaning, oiling, or repairing of any power-driven machinery.
- Any activities in construction, including demolition and repair.
- Operations which involve activities on an elevated surface, with or without use of equipment, including but not limited to ladders and scaffolds.
- Activities involving contact with moving vehicles.
- Driving a motor vehicle.
Note: This is a non-exhaustive list; it is intended to highlight the most common hazards that could be encountered in a University setting.
#3: Have you obtained proof of age from the individual?
Minors must provide proof of age before they may begin in the department. The customary procedure for verifying proof of age is as follows:
- The prospective Intern or Volunteer provides original documentation to the Department Administrator or Designee to verify his or her age. Acceptable documents include those listed on the I-9 Form issued by the United States Department of Homeland Security.
- The Department Administrator or Designee makes a copy of the documentation used to verify proof of age and retains a copy in the Intern or Volunteer's department file. The Department Administrator or Designee email a copy to the Office of Human Resources at email@example.com.
Alternatively, the prospective Intern or Volunteer may request an Age Certificate from his or her school's issuing officer, which the prospective Intern or Volunteer then provides to the Department Administrator or Designee. The Department Administrator or Designee retains this document in the Intern or Volunteer's department file and emails a copy to the Office of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Proof of age may also be requested from those who are 18-20 years of age as deemed necessary, but this is not required.
#4: Have you posted the scheduled hours and time of the lunch period?
If minors are present, the Illinois Department of Labor requires that you post the scheduled hours and time of the lunch period.