- Adaptability – Works effectively in an environment in which the parameters may change daily; adjusts behavior to meet the needs of different people and situations.
- Assertiveness/Independence – Takes forceful stands on issues without being excessively abrasive; expresses own opinions even when adopting an unpopular position.
- Athletic Regulations – Knowledge of rules and regulations of the NCAA, Big Ten Conference and Northwestern University
- Business Acumen – Possesses business savvy and demonstrates the ability to foster and lead cost-efficient initiatives without sacrificing quality or core values.
- Coaching/Mentoring – Trains people for current assignment and develops them for promotion; uses feedback and personal example to encourage higher performance.
- Collaboration – Facilitates open and effective communication, cooperation and teamwork within and outside of one’s own team; respects the needs and contributions of others.
- Communication – Communicates effectively one-to-one, in small groups and in public speaking contexts; writes precise, well-organized emails, letters and proposals while using appropriate vocabulary and grammar.
- Conflict Management – Exhibits understanding of natural sources of conflict and acts to prevent or soften them.
- Customer Focus – Regularly monitors customer satisfaction; provides suggestions to improve quality and value to the customer.
- Development of Self/Others – Stays current on technical/professional information; identifies methods for improving work procedures or systems; solicits feedback from customers, peers and superiors.
- Diversity – Creates an environment of understanding and acceptance; solicits input from a wide variety of people and functions; challenges organizational policies and practices that may be exclusionary.
- Efficiency/Dependability – Effectively performs duties and responsibilities; displays attention to detail; supports organizational policies; anticipates demands/pressures of assignments and adjusts accordingly.
- Ethics and Integrity – Follows through on commitments; incorporates honesty, respect and fairness in daily actions; demands trustworthiness from others; demonstrates courage and objectivity.
- Initiative – Exhibits energy and desire to achieve; sets ambitious goals and acts decisively; takes action that no one has requested to improve or enhance job results and avoid problems.
- Innovation/Creativity – Explores alternatives to existing products and services; identifies opportunities to improve procedures and practices; shows imagination.
- Judgment – Demonstrates logic, rationality and objectivity; shows common sense; uses all available information to make educated decisions.
- Management Change – Seeks projects that initiate changes in the organization; informs team members of upcoming changes; creates clear time frames and involves those who will be affected by changes in the planning and implementation process.
- Multi-Tasking – Demonstrates ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Negotiation – Finds common ground to accommodate the conflicting needs and wants of different stakeholders.
- Organization – Plans, organizes and schedules in an efficient, productive manner; anticipates contingencies and pays attention to detail; targets projects or initiatives that require special attention and focuses on key tasks when faced with limited time and/or resources
- Planning – Devises and implements clearly defined strategies to achieve business objectives.
- Political Savvy – Shows awareness of political factors and “hidden agendas;” builds informal network to “wire” information sources and influence.
- Problem Solving – Formulates realistic plans and contingencies and establishes appropriate measurements of anticipated results.
- Visionary Leadership – Inspires confidence and optimism through a clear vision and by personal example; reinforces and emphasizes organizational goals through words and actions.
- Case Management – Develops individualized case plans and maintains positive client relationships.
- Diagnostic Testing – Plans and prepares procedures; performs tests; interprets records and communicates results.
- Emergency Response – Assesses emergency situations; follows SOPs; exercises calm, quick judgment in stressful conditions.
- Safety Management – Identifies actual and potential issues and risks; monitors and enforces safety regulations; provides education and training
- Accounting / Account Reconciliation – Understands and interprets financial statements and reports; reconciles financial records.
- Auditing – Examines records or financial accounts for accuracy; adjusts or corrects accounts.
- Fundraising – Personally solicits monetary donations.
- Grant Administration – Manages grant application process; prepares and monitors budget; administers pre and post-award.
- Hazardous Materials – Safely handles hazardous materials; presents radiation safety training.
- Medical Terminology – Possesses working knowledge of medical/research terminology.
- Research Regulations – Demonstrates knowledge of federal and state regulations governing the participation of human and animal research subjects.