Social Security and Tax ID Number Information

Social Security Numbers (SSN)

Nonresident aliens who receive employment income in the U.S. are eligible for a Social Security Number (SSN). You must apply with the Social Security Office after being in the country for ten days and the card will generally be issued to you within two weeks.

Individuals will need the following:

The closest Social Security offices are located at 2116 Green Bay Road in Evanston and 77 W. Jackson Blvd, Suite 300 in Chicago. Additional offices can be found on the Social Security website. Their office hours are Monday-Friday 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Additional information can also be found on the International Office website.

Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)

Nonresidents who will receive stipends from a scholarship or fellowship, but will not be employed in any other way such as a graduate assistantship or temporary employment, will not be eligible for a SSN and must complete Form W-7 PDF Document which is a part of FNIS.

If you become eligible for a Social Security Number later, because of employment at the University such as a graduate assistantship or temporary employment, you must apply for a SSN.

  1. You must notify the IRS in writing that you have obtained your Social Security Number (SSN).
  2. The letter must state that you have an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) and now also have a SSN and you will discontinue use of the ITIN.
  3. It must include your legal name, current street address, city, state, zip, previously assigned ITIN, new SSN, the current date, and signature.
  4. Mail this letter to:
    Internal Revenue Service
    ITIN Operation
    P.O. Box 149342
    Austin , TX 78714-7342

Faculty, researchers, graduate assistants, and fellowship recipients may receive payments for up to 30 days without providing their SSN or Form W-7 PDF Document.