NRSA Postdoctoral Scholars are recipients of National Research Service Awards (NRSA) from the National Institutes of Health (NIH). Recipients are trainees rather than employees of the University, as mandated by the terms of the award. If you are employed by the University prior to accepting an NRSA appointment you are required to relinquish your employment and to change status from employee to trainee for the term of the grant.
- NRSA recipients are eligible to participate in health, dental, vision, life, and long term disability insurance benefits through Garnett-Powers & Associates.
- Individuals have 31 days from the appointment begin date to elect insurance coverage by accessing the Garnett-Powers link: http://www.garnett-powers.com/northwestern.
- Premiums are paid by a combination of funds from the grant, from the University and, if family coverage is elected, from the individual member.
- NRSA recipients are not eligible to participate in University employee plans.
Other University Services
- You are eligible to receive a WildCARD, enabling you to use the University Library, purchase University parking, and receive discounts on theater and athletic events.
- You may obtain University network IDs, which provide access to e-mail and listing in the University directory.
Continuity of University Service
For NRSA Postdoctoral Fellows, University service is not accrued throughout the duration of the grant, but is held until restarting employment after the term of the grant.