Dependent Portable Tuition Benefits

Summary Plan Description PDF Document

  • Undergraduate courses taken by dependent children as a full-time student at schools other than Northwestern University. An indication of financial dependency is the Federal Form 1040. Students establishing residency in other states may not qualify for the Dependent Portable tuition benefit if they are not listed as a dependent on their parent’s (the employee’s) Form 1040.
  • Eligibility requires 5 or more years of Qualified Service.
  • Based on billed tuition and eligible, mandatory fees minus financial aid such as scholarships and grants.
  • Benefits are provided for up to 8 full-time semesters (12 quarters) and up to age 26.
  • Terms for which this benefit is received will coordinate with the Dependent Reduced Tuition benefits such that benefits are received for no more than eight full-time academic semesters or twelve full-time academic quarters.
  • Requires an application form for each term (semester, quarter or trimester) of study.
  • Checks are made payable to the school, but may be made payable to you with proof of payment.
  • Payments are issued by Accounts Payable and forwarded to the Benefits Division for pick up or mailing to the employee.

Required Qualified Service

Tuition Benefit

5 years

Up to 50% of billed tuition

16 years*

100% of billed tuition up to $5,616 per academic year

* Eligibility requires date of hire prior to January 1, 2000. Employees hired prior to January 1, 2000 may choose either the percentage or flat amount plan for each child in a family. Once the percentage plan is chosen for a child, an individual may not later choose the flat amount plan for that same child.

Waiver of Service Period

For new hires as of 9/1/2014: You may qualify to waive part or all of the 5-year Northwestern service period for the dependent portable or dependent reduced tuition benefit. You must have worked in a full-time, benefits-eligible position at a FAFSA-qualified college or university offering a comparable tuition benefit immediately prior to joining Northwestern University as a faculty or staff member. Please complete the top portion of the waiver form and have your previous employer complete the bottom portion. Return the form to the Benefits Division (or attach online) for approval.

Tuition Reimbursement Applications