This benefit is available for full-time faculty and staff at the University.
1. Participant must be a regular full-time employee AND
2. Participant must have completed one full year of service prior to the beginning of the term AND
3. Employee must be on the payroll at the beginning and completion of course(s).
This benefit is for certificate courses taken at Northwestern University. The benefit is limited to tuition and eligible fees only.
Annual Benefit Amount
The maximum annual benefit per calendar year is $3,000. This is non-taxable (unless it is used in conjunction with the Employee Reduced and/or Portable Tuition programs). Total maximum of all education assistance benefits per employee is $10,000/calendar year, whereby any amount over $5,250 is considered taxable income per IRS rules.
1. Copy of official certificate showing completion of course.
2. Copy of official university/school bill or statement of account (showing all fees, financial aid received, and full payment).
3. Supervisor's approval shown by signature on application.
4. Original signature of employee (copies of the application form will not be accepted).
5. The calendar year in whcih the course(s) are taken will be the same calendar year in which the reimbursement funds are applied.
6. Employees must submit paperwork within 90 days after the course completion date.
1. Employees review policy & procedure to ensure eligiblity prior to the start of the certificate program.
2. Employees obtain their supervisor's approval and signature indicating it is a job-related program.
3. Employees, upon completion of the program, must obtain, complete and submit: an Application for Employee NU Certificate Reimbursement signed by the supervisor and employee, a copy of any associated certificate showing completion, an itemized bill clearly showing the fees for that course and any associated grants and/or scholarships, and proof of payment.
4. Employees must indicate on the Employee NU Certificate Tuition form the amount of financial assistance they receive from other sources. These are subtracted from your out-of-pocket tuition and fee expenses.
5. The Employee NU Certificate Tuition form must be submitted through Northwestern University's Benefits Office, no later than 90 days after course completion.
6. The employee will be reimbursed via payroll.