To qualify for tuition benefits, you must have full-time employment status as of the first day of the term for which the benefit is being requested. If eligibility is lost during a term, the tuition benefit is provided through the end of that term of study.
For additional plan and eligibility information please review the tuition information available on our website.
- Complete the online tuition benefits application for the type of benefit you elect (step-by-step directions are included below).
- Obtain a signed copy of your most recently filed 1040 tax form as proof of dependency. The first two pages of the 1040 are required to be submitted.
- Upload additional documentation for portable tuition applications, which may include an invoice, proof of payment, and proof of full-time student status.
- Submit the application and supporting documentation.
New Online Tuition Benefits Application
A myHR tuition benefit application is now available to all employees who are eligible for tuition benefits. This online application features:
- Easy access to submit and track your tuition benefit applications in myHR,
- The ability to upload your documentation for all tuition benefits, and
- Access to view your current and past tuition benefit applications in one location.
**Tuition benefits payable to employees will be processed through payroll and paid via direct deposit. If you have multiple accounts designated for your payroll direct deposit, the tuition benefit may be disbursed to all accounts. Please contact the Benefits Division if you do not want this to occur.
Using the Online Application
Please follow these directions to submit your tuition benefit online:
- Use a Firefox browser.
- Log in to myHR with your NetID, Password, and Multifactor Authentication (MFA).
- Select the "Benefits" tile and choose "My Tuition Benefit Application."
- Select "Submit New Application."
- Select the "Tuition Benefit Year."
- Use the magnifying glass icon to select the "Plan ID" (your eligible tuition benefit options will appear).
- Follow the instructions to complete your application and upload your documentation.
Paper Tuition Benefits Application
If you fall into one of these categories - Retirees, Surviving Spouse of a Northwestern University Employee, or Contributed Service Medical School Faculty - you may request a paper tuition application form by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Your name,
- Your employee ID,
- The type of tuition benefit you are interested in.
For dependent reduced tuition, you will need a copy of your most recently filed 1040 tax form as proof of dependency. Both the first page showing your child listed as a dependent and the second page showing the signature portion are required. Contributed Service Faculty see additional information here.
For dependent portable tuition, you will need to collect the following documentation:
- A copy of your most recently filed 1040 tax form as proof of dependency. Both the first page showing your child listed as a dependent and the second page showing the signature portion are required.
- Proof of full-time student status: a letter from the school stating that the student is enrolled on a full-time basis for the term in question or a course list including the student's name, the school's name, and the credit hours for each course.
- An itemized tuition bill from the school bearing the student's name.
- If you want the payment made payable to you, proof of payment is required.