EST helps staff minimize the financial burdens that might result from a non-work-related accident or illness.
Incidental Sick Time (IST) and Extended Sick Time (EST) Policy
Frequently Asked Questions
EST Program Benefit
- Employees must file an EST claim and meet the following criteria before receiving the benefit:
- absent from work due to a disability for 7 consecutive calendar days
- eligible for the EST program based on 6 months of continuous benefits eligible service
- Benefits are available for a period of up to 25 weeks
Enroll in EST
- Employees are automatically enrolled in EST 6 months from their original benefits eligible hire date. No enrollment is required.
The EST program is provided at no cost to the employee.
- Contact the Benefits Division to discuss requesting Family Medical Leave (FML) for job protection.
- Call The Hartford at 888-541-7283 up to 30 days in advance of a planned absence or within 5 days of the beginning of an unplanned absence.
- The Hartford, which serves as the Claims Administrator, reviews the claim.
- The Hartford will contact your physician directly to clarify or seek additional information.
- You will be contacted via phone and also by mail of the claim decision. If a claim is denied, follow the appeal process outlined in the letter.
Claims Frequently Asked Questions