Moving to an NRSA post doctoral fellow position impacts your eligibility for all benefit plans.
Entering an NRSA Postdoctoral Fellow position:
- You are no longer eligible for employee benefits through Northwestern University.
- NRSA recipients and Visiting Scholars are eligible to participate in health, dental, vision, life, and long term disability insurance benefits through Garnett-Powers & Associates.
- Individuals have 31 days from the appointment begin date to elect insurance coverage by accessing the Garnett-Powers via the "My Benefits" menu in the Self Service Portal.
- Premiums are paid by a combination of funds from the grant, from the University and, if family coverage is elected, from the individual member.
Leaving an NRSA Postdoctoral Fellow position:
- You are eligible for flexible spending accounts, a health savings account, life insurance, disability benefits and retirement savings.
- The one year waiting period for the matched and unmatched retirement savings applies. This waiting period is decreased by the length of continuous service in a regular staff position immediately prior to your NRSA appointment.
- Enroll by completing a Benefits Change form within 31 days of the change in employment status to elect your benefits.