Moving to an NRSA post doctoral fellow position impacts your eligibility for all benefit plans.
Entering an NRSA Postdoctoral Fellow position:
- You are no longer eligible for employee benefits through Northwestern University.
- NRSA recipients and Visiting Scholars are eligible to participate in health, dental, vision, life, and long term disability insurance benefits through Garnett-Powers & Associates.
- Individuals have 31 days from the appointment begin date to elect insurance coverage by accessing the Garnett-Powers via the "My Benefits" menu in the Self Service Portal.
- Premiums are paid by a combination of funds from the grant, from the University and, if family coverage is elected, from the individual member.
Leaving an NRSA Postdoctoral Fellow position:
- You are eligible for flexible spending accounts, a health savings account, life insurance, short term disability benefits and retirement savings.
- The one year waiting period for short term disability (STD), long term disability (LTD), and matched and unmatched retirement savings applies. This waiting period is decreased by the length of continuous service in a regular staff position immediately prior to your NRSA appointment.
- Enroll by completing a Benefits Change form within 31 days of the change in employment status to elect your benefits.