Divorce/Legal Separation

If you divorce or legally separate, you may need to update or change the following information:

Remove your spouse from your health, dental and vision insurance:

  • Complete and submit the Benefits Change Form PDF Document and the first and last page of your divorce decree to the Benefits Division within 31 days of your divorce or legal separation.
  • You cannot change the health or dental plan in which you are enrolled.
  • If your spouse requires COBRA insurance coverage, you must notify the Benefits Division to obtain a formal offer letter within 31 days of your divorce or legal separation.
  • Insurance premiums are not prorated. Regardless of the date of divorce, you are financially responsible for the entire month of insurance premiums.

Remove your spouse from life insurance:

  • Waive your spouse life insurance using the Benefits Change Form PDF Document.
  • Please allow the Benefits Division five business days to process your Benefits Change Form before changing your life insurance beneficiaries through myHR.
  • If your ex-spouse is incorrectly listed as “spouse”, please contact the Benefits Division before making any changes. You may also contact the Benefits Division to permanently remove your ex-spouse's record from your list of beneficiaries.

Change your personal information:

  • Update your home address in myHR if you have moved.
  • Change your name with Northwestern University by submitting a Personal Data Form PDF Document and providing your new social security card to the payroll office.